History

Second building for Cullen Baptist ChurchCullen Baptist Church began on December 3, 1915, when ten neighbors in the rural village of Cullen, VA, presented church letters from previous congregations and became Charter members of the “First Baptist Church of Cullen.”

In 1916, the church applied for and was accepted as a member of the Appomattox Baptist Association. In the first ten years, church membership grew to one hundred thirty. A Baptist Sunday School was started in October 1916. By 1934 the Sunday School had 94 pupils, served by 12 teachers.

Rev. George Harris, served as Cullen’s pastor from 1923 until he retired in 1953, remaining an active church member until his death on February 26, 1968.

Church minutes show a continual struggle for monies to support the growing congregation. Even in hard times, the church remained dedicated to missions and to charitable works.

The members voted in 1960 to construct a new church building. The entire community became involved, with donations coming from many non-members. The new building was dedicated on October 29, 1961, with a Homecoming Service followed by lunch on the grounds.

In 1974, a new parsonage was built next door to the church. By then, none of the charter members were living, but some of their children and grandchildren were members.

Submitted by: Janie Viele & Kay Viele Stoen
Source: Cullen Baptist History 1915-1995 by Barbara Shepard

Archives